skip to Main Content
British Aikido Board

If you wish to work with children and young people within a BAB Club then you may require an Enhanced Criminal Records Check and/or Barred List Check as well as the BAB Coach Level 1 (as a minimum). In England these checks will be done through the DBS (which has replaced the old CRB system)

First of all, if you wish to work with children and are new to this role then we require you to undergo a recruitment process PRIOR to taking up your post. Your Club Welfare [CWO] Officer or Association Child Protection Officer [ACPO] will be able to advise you further about this process.


The recruitment process should include the following.

  1. Complete your Association’s Recruitment Pack and return the completed documents to your CWO or ACPO
  2. Identify your role within Aikido and confirm that you are eligible for a DBS check and/or Barred List Check. Again your CWO or ACPO will help you to do this.
  3. If required, apply for your Enhanced DBS check at the appropriate level (i.e. with or without Barred List Check)
  4. When your Disclosure Certificate arrives Contact your ACPO to confirm that you have received the Certificate. If your Disclosure is not “clear” then you must send the Disclosure Certificate to the BAB Lead Safeguarding Officer.
  5. Join the DBS’s on line Update System. This is FREE for volunteers and may ensure you never need to complete another DBS check ever again!  CLICK HERE for details of this service
  6. Make sure you understand how the BAB will manage the Single Disclosure as failure to understand and comply with this process could delay you taking up your role in the club.
  7. Once your DBS check has been ‘cleared’ by the BAB’s Case Management Group then the Club/Association may employ or deploy you. It may be necessary for you to send in your Disclosure to the BAB’s Case Management Group – see the Single Disclosure page for more information.

PLEASE NOTE: It is a criminal offence for any individual who is barred from working with children to seek employment or deployment in Regulated Activity.

Back To Top